Tuesday 28 January 2014

Logophilia (Not As Naughty As It Sounds)

I ask you to take a little quiz, dear reader.

-Do you have a list of favourite words?
-If so, do you think the number of words on this list might exceed the amount of a "normal" person?
-Do you read with a dictionary (or dictionary app) at the ready?
-Is discovering a new word akin to finding a new species?
-Is a book that is brimming with brobdingnagian, grandiloquent, esoteric, and pedantic words the stuff of your dreams?
-Did you know what all those previous words meant without having to look them up?

If you answered yes to all or most of these questions, you might be a logophile: a lover of words.

If you've not already guessed, I am, indubitably, a self-proclaimed logophile.
As such, I have plenty of neurotic tales to tell pertaining to words, including the following.

Recently, I've been searching for the right word for being overly proud or vain, but nothing felt quite right. "Snobbish" was too prosaic, "imperious" seemed too closely related to one's actions for what I was looking for, "supercilious" might induce quite a lot of eye rolling, and I thought something like "haughty" might be misconstrued in  verbal conversation.
And then...the heavens opened and presented me with the perfect word: "orgulous." It's definition is, in fact, "haughty; disdainfully proud; snobbish; scornfully arrogant; supercilious." Perfect, I say!
Now you might think, "What the heck?! Aren't those all things he mentioned before?" Yes. However, that is part of the beauty; it covers all the criteria I was looking for, and is a word I hadn't known previously (which is always the very best part).
Ahhhh, the life of an inveterate nerd.

That's that, dear reader! If you found this post particularly enjoyable, look forward to similar posts in the future! If you found this post entirely boring or exceedingly geeky, then I fear I'll likely loose you as an audience member. If so, the best to you.

Until next time, dear reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment